Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

What was Progressive thinking?

Emotion can be a powerful thing in advertising. Even negative emotions such as fear and anger can be used to make a positive connection with consumers and motivate action. But to do that, advertisers need to direct those emotions at something other than themselves. Seems like common sense to me. That’s why I was so confused by this banner ad from Progressive insurance that ran on my fantasy football league’s website.

"You just audibly cheered the shattering of a 22-year old's knee/dreams."

The text reads, “You just audibly cheered the shattering of a 22-year old’s knee/dreams.” Outside of the banner itself, in the background space to the side of the site’s content, is Flo, Progressive’s advertising mascot, smiling from ear-to-ear and looking very proud. Glad to see that a little human suffering won’t ruin the company’s good time.

At first, I was expecting some sort of payoff. I mean, I must be missing something, right? I even refreshed the page a couple of times just to be sure. But nope. Nada. Just this single, frankly insulting, line. I have never cheered an injury in my life, and I don’t appreciate being accused of it.

Even if this ad had anything to do with insurance, why would I want to give my business to these people? Who’s running their online ads, the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld?

No comments:

Post a Comment